There are two kinds of representatives in the representative of an overseas visa category.

Firstly, a Media Representative is any employee or worker of an overseas news agency, newspaper or broadcasting media firm working for their employer in the UK on a long-term contract.

Secondly, a Sole Representative is a senior employee of an overseas business organisation, fully functional, trading, and has long term intentions to set up a subsidiary or a fully operational registered branch in the UK.

When an overseas business plans to expand its business presence in the UK, the employer appoints a sole representative.

Eligibility requirements for a sole representative

  1. A sole representative can be a senior manager or an HR manager.
  2. He/she must be employed in the parent company.
  3. A sole representative must have adequate knowledge to make decisions on behalf of the parent company
  4. A sole representative must possess at least CEFR A1 level English language proficiency in speaking and listening.
  5. A sole representative must possess enough financial resources to sustain the company.

How long does it take?

  • It usually takes 4-6 weeks for a sole representative visa application to process.
  • One can apply as early as 3 months before the trip.
  • The sole representative visa is valid for 3 years.
  • Once the 3 year period is over, one can apply for a sole representative visa UK extension for further 2 years.

Extend a sole representative visa the UK

You can extend your stay in the UK if your sole representative visa expires.

You must apply before the visa expires.

Eligibility to apply for sole representative visa UK extension are:

  1. You are currently the sole representative of the overseas branch or subsidiary.
  2. You are continuing to work for the same employer and is handling business from the UK
  3. You have been able to establish your business in the UK successfully, and;
  4. The primary operations of your parent company are still outside the UK.

If you fulfil all the above requirements, you are eligible to extend your visa.

Generally, you can extend your visa for up to 2 more years.

To extend your sole representative visa for another year if the previous sole representative visa was issued before 01 October 2009.

You can also apply for settlement in the UK if you continue to work for the same employer in the UK. And in due course can also apply for British citizenship.

While applying online, you will be required to book an appointment in the UK visa and citizenship Application services(UKVCAS) to complete your biometrics.

You will have to upload all the required documents.

It usually takes about 8 weeks before you hear from the Home Office. It would help if you did not travel anywhere outside the UK; else, your application could be refused.

The Home Office will contact if, due to any complexity, the application is taking longer than usual to get processed.

Taking expert advice

You might want to avoid any rejections in your application. You can take support from a legal expert who can represent your case. A Y & J Solicitors have been industry experts for many years now. They have the best immigration lawyers in London who understand the complex nature of the application process and have represented many clients with successful results.