If you’ve been feeling increasingly dizzy, nauseous, & out-of-balance for some time now, then very likely you’re suffering from Vertigo. Vertigo is a sensation that your surroundings are spinning, & that you’re out of balance, &/or dizzy.
Some bouts of vertigo can also be accompanied by nausea, motion sickness, & extended dizziness. Dizziness is also known as the feeling of lightheadedness and woozy. Vertigo and dizziness are two different symptoms but often accompanied. सिर चकराना is the dizziness meaning in Hindi and same is used for vertigo too. Stay tuned to learn about vertigo and some powerful home remedies to treat vertigo in this article.
Vertigo isn’t a disease in itself, but rather a symptom of some underlying illness. Although in most cases, Vertigo isn’t fatal & doesn’t lead to any serious consequences, the accompanying dizziness, nauseousness, & loss of balance makes everyday activities difficult for patients.
Trained Vertigo specialists & dizziness experts can very easily find out the exact cause of your Dizziness. According to the cause, the Vertigo specialists can prescribe the exact dizziness & Vertigo treatment for your condition. The most common type of vertigo is called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV).
It occurs when tiny calcium carbonate crystals deposit inside the inner ear’s semicircular canal, & cause problems with the sensory signals that travel through the inner ear to the brain. Head injuries, infections, & other illnesses can lead to BPPV, although, in certain cases, there are no known causes for BPPV. There are many BPPV Vertigo home remedies available to provide BPPV patients with some relief from their Dizziness symptoms. Your doctor can draw up an adequate, proper Vertigo & dizziness treatment for your particular case of BPPV. Before you go to the doctor, however, you can discover which ear does your BPPV Vertigo effect, & which ear is causing your BPPV symptoms, by following certain simple steps.
- Sit on your bed such that when you lie down, your head hangs over the edge of the bed slightly.
- Turn your head to the right & lie down quickly.
- Now, wait for about a minute.
- If you feel dizzy, it means that your right ear is the one that is affected.
- If you don’t feel any dizziness, then sit up & wait for a minute.
- Turn your head to the left & lie down quickly. Now, wait a minute.
- If dizziness occurs, it means that the left ear is the affected one.
Depending on the ear that is affected, your doctor can recommend you certain Vertigo exercises & Dizziness home remedies to perform to ease the symptoms of your BPPV.
Read below to find out the most recommended vertigo exercises to treat BPPV symptoms at home.
If your BPPV Vertigo symptoms occur from the left ear & side:
- Sit up on the edge of your bed, & turn your head 45 degrees to the left. Place a pillow under you such that when you lie down, the pillow rests between your shoulders rather than under your head.
- Lie down on your back quickly, with your head still on the bed at 45 degrees angle. The pillow needs to be below your shoulders. Wait about 30 seconds for any dizziness to pass.
- Turn your head about 90 degrees to the right without raising it. Now, hold this position for the next 30 seconds.
- Turn your head & body to the side to the right, so you’re facing the floor. Now, hold this position for at least 30 seconds.
- Now sit up slowly but remain on the bed for a few minutes.
If the Vertigo comes from your right ear & side, then simply reverse these instructions from the right side. Repeat this exercise for about 4-5 times in a row, about thrice in a week. Along with a course of adequate Vertigo medicines, the Epley Maneuver should make a meaningful part of dizziness & Vertigo treatment.
The following steps are for when your Vertigo & dizziness arise from your left ear & side. For Vertigo that arises from your right side, simply reverse the instructions.
- Sit on the edge of your bed & turn your head 45 degrees to the right.
- Lie down quickly on your side & hold this position for 30 seconds.
- Quickly move to lie down on the opposite end of the bed, keeping the direction of your head unchanged. Keep your head at a 45-degree angle, & lie for 30 seconds. You should be facing the floor at this time.
- Return slowly to the sitting position & wait for a few minutes.
Repeat these movements for three times a day until you experience 24 hours without any signs of Vertigo.
Foster Maneuver or Half Somersault Maneuver
It is one of the easiest Vertigo exercises & Vertigo home remedies to perform at home for relief from BPPV symptoms.
To do this exercise, just perform the following steps:
- Kneel down & look up at the ceiling for a few seconds.
- Touch the floor with your head, tucking your chin so that your head goes towards your knees. Now just wait for at least 30 seconds for Vertigo sensations to stop.
- Turn your head in the affected ear’s direction. For instance, if you are feeling sensations in your left side, turn to face your left elbow and wait for around 30 seconds. Vice-versa.
- Quickly raise your head so it’s level with your back while you’re on all fours. Now while keeping your head at a 45 degrees angle, wait for about 30 seconds.
- Quickly raise your head such that it’s fully upright, but keep your head turned to the shoulder of the side you’re currently in. Next, slowly stand up.
Repeat these series of movements until there is tangible relief from your symptoms. Give yourself 15 minutes of rest periods between each repetition.
Brandt-Daroff exercises make use of gravity to help dislodge crystals from the semicircular canal so that they no longer create hindrances in maintaining the body’s balance. This exercise can be performed at home in a few simple steps as mentioned below:
- Sit upright on the bed with your feet on the floor, then turn your head 45 degrees in the right direction.
- Without changing the direction of your head, lie down on your left side on the bed. Now hold this position for approx 30 seconds.
- Slowly return to the starting position, & take a 30-second break.
- Now, turn your head 45 degrees in the left side, & repeat all the previous steps in the right direction.
- Return to the original starting position & pause for 30 seconds.
- Repeat the entire exercise for about five times in a single sitting.
This exercise, like almost every other exercise for Vertigo, can give rise to bouts of dizziness. Hence it’s important to remember to give yourself some time for the dizziness to pass before doing anything immediately after performing the Brandt-Daroff exercise. In addition to seeing a doctor & taking regular medications, alongside this exercise for Vertigo & dizziness treatment, it should give tangible benefits to you in about three to four weeks.
Ginkgo Biloba has shown to be effective in patients with Vertigo, & has been prescribed as the leading Dizziness medicines in dizziness & Vertigo treatment. Its extracts can be bought in either capsule form or in liquid form. Taking Ginkgo Biloba along with Vertigo exercises forms a wonderful treatment plan.
Stress management, yoga, & getting adequate sleep
Most Dizziness attacks are brought on by excessive amounts of stress. Hence, it is advisable to reduce your levels of stress & indulge in activities that help make you peaceful. Besides stress-releasing activities, yoga & tai chi have also been shown to be effective in managing stress, as well as re-center the body’s balance system that takes a hit because of Vertigo. Not getting enough sleep is also linked to feelings of dizziness, loss of balance, & Vertigo.
Hence, trying to get a full 8 hours of sleep every night is really important to feel healthy in all aspects.
Looking for expert Vertigo specialists & doctors to treat your Dizziness symptoms? Consult with NeuroEquilibrium range of clinics, which have trained Vertigo experts & specialists that formulate adequate treatment plans for BPPV symptoms.