What is a rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty also called nose job is the intervention of cosmetic surgery which makes it possible to correct the architecture of the nose: bump, shape of the tip, width, size of the nostrils, deviation. Septoplasty corrects the function of the nose: ensuring good breathing.
It is a cosmetic surgery intervention, which is not covered by social security or by the mutual: all costs are your responsibility, and no work stoppage. cannot be prescribed. A quote will then be given to you by the Hayatmed cosmetic surgeon .
Do not hesitate to consult my article dedicated to the indications and contraindications for rhinoplasty in Turkey for more information on this subject.
This intervention therefore has 2 different goals:
- Improve the aesthetic appearance by removing a bump, refining a point, correcting a large width, reducing the size of the nostrils.
- Improve ventilation when combined with septoplasty (intervention on the nasal septum).
Rhinoplasty is most often performed between 20 and 30 years old, never before 17-18 years old because the nose changes enormously during adolescence.
There are several types of rhinoplasty: aesthetic, functional, mixed rhinoplasty, septoplasty, ethnic rhinoplasty.
How is the operation before the rhinoplasty performed?
- 2 surgical consultations spaced at least 15 days apart are important before any act of cosmetic surgery in Boulogne, this allows the surgeon to clearly identify your request and the patient to ask any questions concerning his intervention.
- Medical photographs are always taken.
- Special x-rays are sometimes prescribed.
- An anesthesia consultation in Istanbul is mandatory several days before the operation.
- Plan for a period of professional unavailability of 1 to 2 weeks after the operation, because no sick leave can be prescribed.
- What should you watch out for before a rhinoplasty?
- During operation, stop taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, or oral anticoagulants to lessen the risk of bleeding.
- Shampoo the day before the operation.
How is this cosmetic surgery performed?
- You are hospitalized in our clinic located in Istanbul on the morning of the operation.
- You must have an empty stomach after midnight (including water and tobacco).
- The operation is performed under general anesthesia. Depending on the case, it lasts from 1 hour to 3 hours.
What happens after this nose operation?
- Surveillance takes place first in the recovery room, then in your room.
- The nostrils are sharp and you must breathe through your mouth for at least 24 hours.
- Most often, a cast covers the back of the nose and goes up to the forehead, where it is fixed with a bandage. It will be kept in place for 8-10 days.
- The locks are removed the day after the operation. In some cases, however, they can be stored for several days.
- Nasal obstruction is common during the first few days, and it requires frequent washing of the nasal passages to prevent scabs from forming.
- The return home takes place, depending on the case, the same evening (“outpatient”) or the day after the operation. It is recommended that someone accompany your return home.
- Sutures placed in the nose are absorbable. In some cases, however, there may be other nonabsorbable sutures, which must be removed after 5 to 6 days.
- In a classic and usual way, there are during the first weeks or the first months following the intervention:
- edema (swelling) and bruising (blue or purple) of the eyelids and face. Of varying importance, they are often asymmetric and persist for 15 to 21 days.
- a decrease or disappearance of the sensitivity of the nose is almost constant for several months.
Your questions about nose surgery in Boulogne
When can I return to work after rhinoplasty?
The duration of resocialization after rhinoplasty is 7 to 10 days which is the duration during which you will have the cast.
What are the contraindications for nose surgery?
Psychological instability and dysmorphophobic syndrome
General illness prohibiting general anesthesia
How is the rhinoplasty consultation carried out?
The consultation with your cosmetic surgeon takes place in Turkey at Hayatmed clinic, the study of your antecedents, the treatments that you take will make it possible to detect a possible operative contraindication.
You will express your desires and your expectations regarding rhinoplasty. The study of your nose will focus on an aesthetic and functional clinical examination to determine if your desires are achievable, and how the intervention will take place.
I will give you a quote and an information booklet on the intervention at the end of the consultation.
Before the operation, we will meet again so that you and I fully understand your request, I will answer any questions you may have.
You will then see the anesthetist at Hayatmed who will explain the anesthesia to you (most often a general anesthesia) and make sure you are able to fall asleep and wake up safely.
Is rhinoplasty painful?
No, rhinoplasty does not hurt, on the other hand there is discomfort in breathing with a feeling of blocked nostrils which improves in 2-3 days. Immobilization by a plaster of the nose means that the rhinoplasty procedure is not painful, it is more annoying with the nostrils which can be blocked like during a cold.
When can I resume sports after my rhinoplasty?
Because of the possible risk of trauma to the nose, all sports should be avoided for 1 month and the most violent for 2 months.
How long should we keep the plaster cast after a nose operation?
The cast is removed by the surgeon after 8 to 10 days. The nose can then remain exposed to the air. There is usually swelling (edema) of the nose , which persists for several months, especially at the tip of the nose.
- Sometimes there may also be redness of the skin of the nose.
- Several follow-up consultations are carried out, approximately 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and 1 year after the intervention. Six to 12 months are indeed necessary before being able to judge the final result of the intervention.
How does it go on the day of my rhinoplasty operation in Turkey?
You will enter the morning of the operation at Hayatmed clinic in Turkey, we can discuss again together before the rhinoplasty operation.
The intervention lasts 1h-1h30, I will carry out during this the gestures allowing to correct at the end of the intervention you will have wicks in the nostrils and will be able to breathe only through the nose, a plaster will protect your new nose, you will keep the one here for 7 to 10 days.
When you leave the operating room, you will stay in the recovery room for a few hours so that my team can make sure that you wake up in the best possible conditions.
You will then return to your room where you will stay the night, the exit taking place the day after the operation, except in the case where only the tip of your nose is touched.
Where are the incisions placed for a rhinoplasty?
As with any surgical intervention there are incisions, these can be:
- Inside the nostrils only: inter or trans cartilaginous, interseptocollumellar.
- Possibly external: columellar (rety route) and along the groove that separates the nostrils from the cheek if the size of the nostrils has to be reduced.
- In all cases the incisions are sutured with microsurgical threads which will fall alone for the internal scars, they will have to be removed on the 5th day for the others.
How do you feel after rhinoplasty?
The nostrils are blocked by wicks for 24 to 48 hours.
- A plaster keeps the elements of the nose in place for 7 to 10 days, it helps to limit edema.
- The eyes can swell with cockades (blue) which will be maximum 72 hours after the operation of rhinoplasty.
- You will be prescribed treatments to limit bruising and help reduce edema.